One of the things I learned early on in my career is that what we do is very demanding and tough - and the only response to that is commitment to hard work and creativity. You've got to have the fortitude to see a case through to its conclusion.
The best lawyers in the country do the kind of work we do. They are tough, and dedicated to addressing injustices - often for those who deserve it most and can afford our services the least. I'm honored to be a part of that group of attorneys. Sure, that makes me a little idealistic. Money isn't the central reason for taking a case. I may take cases with very little money involved if I think it is the right thing to do.
I'm known for being approachable. Every client I have calls me Barry. Is that a good thing? I think so. I always try to tell clients to have reasonable expectations - that their claim may not translate into a successful outcome for them. But if I take a case, I know we will make every effort to serve them properly, and when it's appropriate seek a trial for their claim.
I would say about 95 percent of the cases we initiate are settled before a jury is even selected. Most of that remaining 5 percent are settled prior to verdict. I've probably tried more than 250 cases to conclusion. The process is about preparation and then effective strategy. Like the old Kenny Rogers song, you've got to know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em.
I'm the luckiest guy in the world - I work with members of my family, and some of the best attorneys and staff anywhere. The people of our firm make a great team.